CAP - How the Client Assistance Program Can Help You


The Client Assistance Program (CAP)

Disability Rights California provides CAP services statewide. CAP provides information, advice and advocacy to help people who have disabilities get employment services from DOR, such as training, education and a job. CAP helps protect the rights of people who receive or need services from DOR, Independent Living Centers, or other Rehabilitation Act Funded partners.

Who can get CAP services?

People who have disabilities who receive or need services through DOR, Independent Living Centers, or other Rehabilitation Act Funded partners. To decide if we can represent you directly, we look at the merits of your case, your ability to advocate for yourself, other advocacy sources you can use, whether your problem is a DRC priority and if DRC has resources to help.

Your Responsibilities

  • Participate in your vocational rehabilitation program with the DOR.
  • Keep copies of your DOR records.
  • Tell your counselor about changes that affect your DOR services or goals.
  • Ask questions if you do not understand.

Your Rights

  • Apply for services and find out if you are eligible in a reasonable amount of time based on the law.
  • Participate in the evaluation of your work skills and interests, and develop an individualized plan for employment (IPE).
  • Get a written copy of your IPE, and a written notice if DOR wants to change or deny your services or close your case.
  • Review your IPE once a year.
  • Appeal a DOR decision if you disagree, and keep your services while the appeal is happening.
  • Make meaningful and informed choices and be treated with dignity.
  • Get appropriate services quickly and without delay.
  • Work towards an employment goal that gives you the chance to work where you want and pays you the same as non-disabled employees.
  • Receive Pre-Employment Transition Services (Pre-ETS) aka “Student Services/ Services to Youth” if you are a teen or young adult with a disability as defined by federal and state law.

CAP Can Help You

  • Understand if you qualify for Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) employment services to help you get a job.
  • Understand how to develop a plan for employment, which may include a plan for self-employment.
  • Know more about the services you can get from DOR and Independent Living Centers.
  • Advocate to get the right services for you.

How to Contact the Client Assistance Program (CAP)

You can reach the Client Assistance Program by calling our toll-free number:
1-800-776-5746 or 
1-800-719-5798 (TTY)

DRC helps people who have disabilities understand their rights, become self-advocates, and provides legal representation in disability related cases.

A Program of Disability Rights CaliforniaCalifornia’s Protection and Advocacy System