How to Get Help

If you have a question about your legal rights, please call us at: 

9:00am - 4:00pm Monday through Friday

You will be routed to an advocate who will consult with you on your question.  If you call us after 4pm, we will schedule an appointment for you to speak with someone later in the week, or you can contact us the next day if you want same-day service. 

We will give you general information, referrals or self-advocacy materials. Although we may represent some clients who call us, we cannot represent every person who contacts us, so you should keep looking for help from other agencies or attorneys. Some issues have deadlines. Please read any notices you receive. Respond to timelines contained in the notices.

You can also request assistance online by filling out a Short Term Assistance Request Form.  For TTY call: 1-800-719-5798

Short Term Assistance Request Form

DRC cannot handle certain issues.  Look here for some common issues we do not handle.


If you are a regional center client, you may ask for help from the Office of Clients’ Rights Advocacy (OCRA).

Office of Clients’ Rights Advocacy
1-800-390-7032 (Northern California)
1-866-833-6712 (Southern California)
1-877-669-6023 (TTY)


If you are a resident at a state psychiatric hospital, you may ask for help from the California Office of Patients’ Rights (COPR).

California Office of Patients’ Rights


For information about our work on state bills and budget you may call:

Public Policy


For information about our media and communications work you may call:

1-800-719-5798 (TTY)


For information about our self-advocacy work, you may call:

Peer Self-Advocacy Unit
1-800-719-5798 (TTY)