Work Incentives Planning & Assistance (WIPA)
What is WIPA?
The Work Incentives Planning and Assistance (WIPA) program is a free service that helps Social Security beneficiaries who receive benefits based on a disability make informed choices about their employment goals. This program is for individuals currently employed, self-employed, or who are seeking employment or selfemployment.
Disability Rights California, in cooperation with the Social Security Administration, provides WIPA services to Social Security beneficiaries in San Diego, Imperial and Riverside Counties.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible to receive WIPA services you must: -
- Receive benefits from Social Security based on a disability (SSDI or SSI) or cash benefits were suspended recently due to wages
- Be at least 14 years old
- Not eligible to receive Social Security retirement benefits
- Be employed, self-employed, or looking for work
How can WIPA help me?
- A certified Community Work Incentives Coordinator (CWIC) can work with you to:
- Plan for the effect employment may have on your benefits
- Develop work incentives so you can be successful
- Coordinate with agencies that help you pay for training or services to return to work
All services are free Contact WIPA at 888-768-7058
To locate other county WIPA projects or for general information about the Social Security work rules call the Ticket to Work Help Line: (866) 968-7842 or www. chooseworkttw.net/findhelp/
Disability Rights California a 501(c)(3) organization, is funded by a variety of sources, for a complete list of funders visit www. disabilityrightsca.org/Documents/ ListofGrantsAndContracts.html
This document is paid for with taxpayer dollars through a Social Security cooperative agreement. Although Social Security reviewed this document for accuracy, it does not constitute an official Social Security communication.
Click links below for a downloadable version.