What is the Office of Clients' Rights Advocacy (OCRA)?


What is the Office of Clients' Rights Advocacy (OCRA)?

This publication will help the viewer understand what The Office of Clients' Rights Advocacy (OCRA), a department of Disability Rights California, is and what they can help with.


The Office of Clients’ Rights Advocacy (OCRA) is part of Disability Rights California. OCRA has a Clients’ Rights Advocate (CRA) at each regional center. The CRA helps protect regional center consumer’s rights. OCRA is funded by the state Department of Developmental Services.

Who Can OCRA Help?

Anyone may ask OCRA about regional center consumer’s rights. OCRA will answer the questions or help find another resource. Regional center consumers or family members may ask OCRA to advocate for their rights.

You and Your Clients’ Rights Advocate

How Can Your CRA Help You?

Your Clients’ Rights Advocate can:

  • Help regional center consumers and their families get services.
  • Provide information about rights and services.
  • Provide training.
  • Represent regional center consumers in hearings.
  • Investigate complaints about denial of rights in a facility.

How Will OCRA Decide If It Can Help?

In deciding if OCRA can advocate for you, your CRA will look at:

  • The merits of your case.
  • Your ability to advocate for yourself.
  • The availability of OCRA resources.
  • Other available advocacy resources.

You may file a grievance if you are not satisfied with OCRA services.

With What Type of Issues Can Your CRA Help?

  • Abuse/Neglect
  • Conservatorship and Alternatives
  • Criminal Matters
  • Discrimination
  • Guardianship
  • In-Home Support Services (IHSS)
  • Medi-Cal
  • Mental Health
  • Privacy
  • Private Insurance
  • Regional Center Services
  • School Services
  • Social Security
  • Voting

Your CRA or Assistant CRA’s phone number is:

1-800-390-7032 OCRA NORTH
916-504-5820 Voice
916-504-5821 Fax
877-669-6023 TTY

1-866-833-6712 OCRA SOUTH
213-213-8170 Voice
213-213-8021 Fax

Disclaimer: This publication is legal information only and is not legal advice about your individual situation. It is current as of the date posted. We try to update our materials regularly. However, laws are regularly changing. If you want to make sure the law has not changed, contact DRC or another legal office.