Join Disability Rights California's Board
Help us create a barrier-free, inclusive, diverse world where Californians with disabilities enjoy equal rights, dignity, choice, independence and freedom from abuse, neglect and discrimination.
We are the largest disability rights advocacy group in the nation, established by federal law to protect and advocate for Californians with disabilities. Last year we assisted more than 24,000 individuals and hundreds of thousands more benefited from our systems litigation, policy work, trainings, and publications. In the last year DRC has advocated to remove discriminatory language from the California Department of Public Health’s recommended Crisis Standards of Care; won a case in the California Supreme Court that improved access to low income housing assistance; conducted numerous webinars in English and Spanish educating people about their rights; and filed suit in Alameda County to improve services in the community for people with mental health disabilities. Read more about our work at https://www.disabilityrightsca.org/post/2019-annual-report
DRC’s work is guided by a board, which values diversity of culture, disability and other life experiences. Board members work together to set DRC’s strategic direction, establish the budget and policies, evaluate the effectiveness of our work and raise funds for DRC. We are looking for members who embrace what DRC stands for, are leaders in their community, are engaged and able to actively participate at board meetings and in board committees, and will work toward ensuring that DRC is focused on enhancing its services to people with disabilities. Please visit our webpage to learn more about each committee.
Current Open Positions
DRC is currently seeking Board Members for a three-year term. See below on how to apply.
How to Apply
Submit a letter of interest and references to Karen Mercado at Karen.Mercado@disabilityrightsca.org or Fax (916) 504-5809. The letter MUST include your contact information and answer questions 1-8 below.
Application deadline: Tuesday February 9, 2021.
- Describe your connection to the disability community and disability civil rights.
- Identify and briefly describe prior experience serving on boards, including the dates of service and the activities you engaged in as a board member.
- Describe why you want to join Disability Rights California’s board and what you would like to accomplish as a board member.
- Describe your educational background, current employment and/or other volunteer activities.
- Identify your unique skills and experience such as accounting, legal, public relations, fundraising, disability community connections and languages spoken.
- List at least two references. Please include the name, telephone number and email address for each reference. Additionally, please list if you have a relative who is a DRC staff member or on DRC’s Board.
- In addition to applying for a position on the Board of Directors, please tell us all of the following Committees for which you would like to be considered: Finance, Legislation, OCRA, PAIMI, and/or Program & Planning.
- Do you have at least 2-5 hours a month to devote to Board responsibilities? Some meetings require to meet during business hours, and some will happen on weekends. When the pandemic has resolved itself and it has been deemed safe to meet in person, our tradition is to meet in person four times a year for our quarterly Board meetings.
- The following is voluntary: DRC’s Board values diversity. In order to assist the Board in selecting diverse Board members, please identify which of the following group(s) you belong to: Decline to State, African American/Black, Asian/Pacific Islander, Hispanic/Latino, Native American, White, Multi-racial; Developmental Disability, Psychiatric Disability, Learning Disability, Sensory Disability, Physical Disability, Other Disability; Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender