Abuse, Neglect, and Crimes Against People with Disabilities

People with disabilities are at a higher risk of abuse, neglect and being victims of crime. Estimates show they are at least four to ten times more likely victims than people without disabilities are. For more information about our work in this area, keep reading.

Disability Rights California’s Investigations Unit advocates for equal protection of people with disabilities. We do this through investigations, policy, and legislative efforts.  On this page, you can find information about our work on systemic reform on issues of neglect, abuse, and victimization of people with disabilities.  

How Can I Report Abuse?

Abuse and neglect of dependent adults and elders is a crime. If you are a victim of abuse or neglect, or if you have knowledge of an incident, you can report it to law enforcement, adult protective services, or licensing agencies.

You can report any incident of abuse or neglect to the police or local law enforcement agency.  If the incident of abuse or neglect occurred in the community, you may report the incident to Adult Protective Services.  If the incident of abuse or neglect occurred in a long-term health facility, like a nursing home or board and care home, you may report the abuse to the local long-term care ombudsman.  If the abuse or neglect occurred in a licensed health facility, such as a nursing home or hospital, you may also report the incident to the Department of Public Health.  If it occurred in a licensed community facility, such as a group home or board and care home, you may report the incident to Community Care Licensing.  If the abuse occurred in jail, you may report it to the Office of the Inspector General.

More information about how to make a report of possible abuse or neglect of a person with a disability or an elder can be found at Reporting Abuse of an Elder and Adult with a Disability (for consumers) or Reporting Elder and Adult Abuse: It is your Duty! (For mandated reporters).