Top Stories of 2022
Top Stories of 2022
As we move through the start of 2023, we’re reflecting on the stories and social media posts that resonated with you, our community, in 2022. We are excited for a new year of advocating for disability rights of all Californians!
As we move through the start of 2023, we’re reflecting on the stories and social media posts that resonated with you, our community, in 2022.
We are excited for a new year of advocating for disability rights of all Californians!
Top 10 Stories
- We shared information on CARE Court and the reasons why DRC does not support the legislation.
- DRC along with other coalition leaders sent an open letter voicing opposition to CARE Court.
- We responded to Governor Newsom’s framework for CARE Court, explaining how forced treatment is not care.
- You were interested in the open letter DRC sent to Governor Newsom, telling him that we do not need CARE Court.
- Families wanted to know more about options for independent study during the 2022-23 school year.
- Readers were curious about how the 2023 state budget would impact programs that serve people with disabilities.
- You explored the digital RULA (Rights Under the Lanterman Act) manual, which is available on our website in English and Spanish.
- At the start of the year, you wanted to know our summary of the proposed 2022-23 state budget.
- You read the letter that DRC and over 50 organizations sent urging Governor Newsom to veto CARE Court.
- You learned how to #BeKindToYourMind during mental health awareness month in May.
Top Social Media Posts in 2022
We happily announced that the updated Rules Under Lanterman Act (RULA) Manual was available.
We are excited to announce that the RULA Manual website is now updated, live, and available in English and...Posted by Disability Rights California on Friday, April 29, 2022
We celebrated the anniversary of the ADA with a photo of DRC’s director of public policy, Eric Harris, along with Vice President Kamala Harris!
DRC thanks the Vice President Kamala Harris @VP for welcoming disability leaders from around the country during last week’s celebration of #ADA32!
DRC’s director of public policy, Eric Harris @emony21 was honored to be part celebration at the Vice President’s residence. pic.twitter.com/WLb4A0m8F4 — Disability Rights California (@DisabilityCA) August 4, 2022
We congratulated former DRC attorney Andi Mudryk on being appointed as a judge for Sacramento County Superior Court and for making history as the first openly transgender person to be appointed to the bench in California.
We announced our First Annual Gala, “The Art of Disability Justice,” taking place February 15, 2023. (Tickets are now available HERE)