Independent Living Center of Southern California, et al. v. the City of Los Angeles, et al.
Groundbreaking Settlement for Accessible Housing
The Los Angeles City Council today agreed to settle litigation brought by three nonprofit disability and fair housing advocacy groups that claimed the City’s housing programs were inaccessible to people with disabilities.
The agreement, the largest of its kind in the country, provides that, over the next 10 years, the City will ensure that at least 4,000 of its affordable housing units meet the highly accessible standards required by federal law, and will enforce policies to ensure that those units are rented to people who need the specific accessibility features. The City committed to spend at least $200 million during the agreement. See below for the full settlement, press release, and other information.
Case Name: Independent Living Center of Southern California, Fair Housing Council of San Fernando Valley, and Communities Actively Living Independent and Free vs. the City of Los Angeles and CRA/LA Designated Local Authority, a public entity and successor agency to the Community Redevelopment Agency of the City of Los Angeles; et al.
Court and Case Number: United States District Court, Central District of California, Case No. 2:12-cv-000551-FMO-PJW.
Judge: The Honorable Fernando M. Olguin, United States District Court
Co-counsel: Relman, Dane and Colfax, PLLC (Washington, D.C.); Disability Rights California, Disability Rights Legal Center, and David Geffen Law Firm
For more information, contact: Michael Allen (202) 277-5551 or Autumn Elliott (213) 213-8125
Significant court documents
Independent Living Center of Southern California http://www.ilcsc.org/
Fair Housing Council of San Fernando Valley http://www.fhcsfv.com/index.php
Communities Actively Living Independent and Free http://califilc.webs.com/
- LA's housing crunch leaves disabled with few options, Los Angeles Daily News, 9/12/16
- LA to Spend $200M on Housing for Disabled, Eastern Group Publications News, 9/1/16
- LA Times editorial supports DRC’s settlement with city over affordable housing for people with disabilities, Los Angeles Times, 9/1/2016
- LA settles landmark lawsuit over affordable housing for people with disabilities, ABC News, 8/30/16
- LA paying $200M to settle lawsuit over disabled housing, AP Radio News, 8/30/16
- LA agrees to record settlelment with DRC over housing for people with disabilities, Los Angeles Daily News, 8/30/16
- L.A. to spend more than $200 million to settle suit on housing for people with disabilities, Los Angeles Times, 8/30/2016