Who We Help

Disability Rights California helps Californians with disabilities. You may get DRC services on a disability related issue if you:

  • Have an intellectual or developmental disability
  • Are a regional center client
  • Have a mental health disability
  • Are a resident of a state psychiatric hospital
  • Have a physical, learning, or sensory disability
  • Have a traumatic brain injury
  • Need access to technology that may help you live a fuller, more independent life
  • Receive SSI or SSDI and need help keeping your benefits when you return to work
  • Receive or want to receive Department of Vocational Rehabilitation services
  • Have questions about your right to vote

    To decide if we can represent you directly, we look at

    • The merits of your case
    • Your ability to advocate for yourself
    • Other advocacy sources you can use
    • Whether your problem is a DRC priority
    • If DRC has resources to help

    Examples of Problems We Can Help With

    Disability Rights California helps people solve disability-related problems. DRC can help you with problems like:

    • Rights to basic support, personal care, therapy and health care such as Home Supportive Services (IHSS) and Medi-Cal
    • Discrimination in housing, transportation, employment and access to public and private programs and services
    • Abuse, neglect and rights violations
    • Services and supports in the least restrictive environment, dignity, privacy, choice and other basic rights
    • Special education
    • Access to vocational rehabilitation services
    • Mental health and support services
    • Regional center eligibility and services
    • Voter registration, accessible vote casting and voting places
    • Access to technology – like communication devices and power wheelchairs

    Disability Rights California Cannot Help With

    • Issues not in our Strategic Plan Goals, Initiatives and Objectives
    • Criminal law, family law, or bankruptcy courts or worker’s compensation proceedings
    • Personal injury lawsuits
    • Filling out Social Security forms
    • Getting guardianships or conservatorships
    • Issues not related to a disability

    For other legal services organizations look here

    How to file a complaint about Disability Rights California

    If you are unhappy with our services, you may file a grievance. You may do this by contacting us at (800) 776-5746. Grievance forms are below.

    DRC Grievance Forms | PAIMI Assurance Grievance Form | OCRA Grievance Forms | COPR Grievance Form