Price vs. City of San Diego
Yesterday, five homeless individuals with disabilities – including a single mother with minor children – and an association serving them, Food Not Bombs, filed a lawsuit against the City of San Diego for failure to provide access to hotel rooms for homeless individuals amid COVID-19. The lawsuit also claims that the City of San Diego discriminates on the basis of disability, race, and familial status in its administration of homeless programs and services.
Under San Diego’s homeless programs and using state and federal funds, hotel and motel rooms were supposed to be provided to high-risk homeless individuals. The complaint alleges however, that when high-risk homeless individuals sought help, the City withheld available hotel and motel rooms and pushed high-risk homeless individuals into a single, congregate setting at the San Diego Convention Center.
The lawsuit asks the court to decide whether the City failed to protect homeless individuals with disabilities during the COVID-19 pandemic. Plaintiffs also seek that the City provide motel and hotel rooms for homeless individuals who are at high risk of contracting COVID-19 so that they do not suffer severe complications and or death from the virus.
In addition to disability discrimination, the lawsuit also alleges race discrimination. In San Diego, communities of color experience homelessness at a far higher rate than white individuals. And communities of color are disproportionately adversely impacted by COVID-19.
Case Name: Price vs. City of San Diego
Court and case number: San Diego Superior Court, 37-2020-0019535-CU-MC-CTL
Co-Counsel: Community Advocates for Just and Moral Governance (MoGo), A Legal Impact Organization
Significant Court Documents
- Homeless Individuals with Disabilities File Lawsuit Seeking Access to Hotel Rooms Left Empty During COVID-19 Pandemic
Press Conference 7/21/2020
- New claim adds to lawsuit alleging San Diego did not protect disabled homeless in coronavirus crisis - Los Angeles Times 07/21/20
- Lawsuit seeks hotel room access for San Diego homeless during pandemic - CBS8 07/21/20
- New claim adds to lawsuit alleging city did not protect disabled homeless in pandemic - San Diego Tribune 07/21/20
- Lawsuit seeks hotel room access for San Diego’s homeless population during pandemic - KUSI News 07/21/20
- Lawsuit Seeks Hotel Room Access for San Diego Homeless During Pandemic - Times of San Diego 07/21/20