Bloom et al. vs. City of San Diego et al
This class action challenges two ordinances that criminalize homelessness because people, many with disabilities, live in RVs or other vehicles.
Complaint was filed on November 15, 2017. Complaint contains constitutional claims under 42 U.S.C. §1983 and ADA claims challenging enforcement of the two ordinances described above.
Case Name: Bloom et al. vs. City of San Diego et al.
Court and Case Number: U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, Case No. 3:17-CV-02324-AJB-NLS
Judge: Honorable Anothony J. Battaglia
Co-Counsel: Geoff D. Biegler, FISH & RICHARDSON; Maria Foscarinis, National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty; Scott Dreher, Dreher Law Firm; Manfred P. Muecke, Bonnett Fairbourn Friednman & Balint PC.
Significant Court Documents
- Homeless people living in RVs still getting tickets despite federal injunction limiting San Diego's enforcement options - San Diego Union Tribune, 11/27/18
- Judge orders San Diego to stop ticketing homeless people living in vehicles - Los Angeles Times, 8/24/18
- Judge's Order Allowing Vehicle Habitation - NBC 7 San Diego, 8/23/18
- Judge Blocks San Diego RV Parking Restriction - Courthouse News Service, 8/22/18
- Judge weighs injunction on RV parking restriction - The San Diego Union-Tribune, 7/26/18
- RV owners ask judge to stop city from ticketing, taking their homes - San Diego (FOX 5), 7/26/18
- Homeless RV owners wait for judge’s decision on citations - ABC 10 News, 7/26/18
- RV owners without homes prepare for day in court - The San Diego Union-Tribune, 7/23/18
- Ticket Protest - KPBS New, 7/23/18
- RV Dwellers Rally in Protest of City's Overnight Parking Laws - San Diego (NBC), 7/23/18
- Homeless rally against RV parking restrictions - San Diego (NEWS 8), 7/23/18
- Homeless RV owners protest San Diego's citations - San Diego (KGTV), 7/23/18
- Disabled Homeless People Fight San Diego RV Laws, Courthouse News Service, 6/1/18
- The City's Walking a Legal Tight Rope With Its Hep A and Homelessness Strategies, Voice of San Diego, 11/27/17
- Homeless living in motorhomes suing the city, CBS San Diego, 11/16/17
- Homeless San Diegans living in RVs plan lawsuit against city over parking ordinance, KGTV San Diego, 11/16/17
- Class-Action Lawsuit Filed Against City of San Diego Alleges Mistreatment of Homeless Living in RVs, KPBS San Diego, 11/16/17
- Lawsuit filed against San Diego over violation of homeless rights, KUSI San Diego, 11/16/17
- Homeless people with disabilities sue San Diego over RV parking law , The San Diego Union-Tribune, 11/16/17