Healthcare/Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS)
DRC helps people get the essential health care they need. We make sure people get services to live in the community rather than institutions. Our work follows the principles in the Supreme Court’s Olmstead decision. To learn more, keep reading.
DRC’s Healthcare/HCBS team works to ensure that people with disabilities have access to essential health care services and a full range of community long-term services and supports to enable them to live in the community and avoid institutionalization, consistent with the principles of the Supreme Court’s Olmstead decision.
Issues we focus on include:
- Ensuring Access to Medi-Cal Home and Community-Based Waivers that enable people with disabilities who would otherwise need institutional services to live in the community.
- Ensuring Access to Medi-Cal services, including Early and Periodic Screening Diagnosis and Treatment (EPSDT) for children up until age 21.
- Ensuring Access to Medi-Cal services, including durable medical equipment.
- Ensuring people with disabilities who want to return home to the community from an institution, or avoid institutionalization have the services and supports they need; and
- Ensuring Access to In Home Supportive Services (IHSS).
There are different Medi-Cal programs to help people with disabilities and seniors stay in their homes. These programs can help them return home from places like hospitals and nursing homes. This pub gives you information about these programs. It tells you what to do if you need help getting one of the programs.
Most people who get Medi-Cal are in a managed health care plan. You have options if your health plan denies a service. This pub tells you about one of them: Independent Medical Review (IMR). An IMR is a way, in certain situations, for you to get a medical review of a health plan’s decision.
This tells you how to get transportation to medical appointments from your Medi-Cal managed care plan. Managed care is a way to provide and pay for health care. You receive most of your health care from a managed care plan. A managed care plan is an organized network of health care providers that focuses on primary and preventive care. The pub also tells you how to get transportation services if you have fee for service or traditional Medi-Cal.