Office of Payee Review & Beneficiary Assistance (OPRABA)
How was OPRABA created?
OPRABA was created by the Strengthening Protections for Social Security Beneficiaries Act of 2018, a bi-partisan bill that was signed into law on April 13, 2018. OPRABA staff are employees of Disability Rights California, not SSA.
How OPRABA can help?
If you suspect that a rep. payee is misusing or improperly using a beneficiary’s funds, contact OPRABA.
If you have a rep. payee and would like to learn how to be your own payee, contact OPRABA.
If you are a rep. payee and you have questions about your duties, contact OPRABA.
What does OPRABA do?
- Reviews of Rep. Payees
- Educational Visits
- Initial Onsite Assessment of Fee for Service Organizations
- Corrective Action Plans
- Information and Referral to Beneficiaries
What is a Representative Payee?
An individual or organization that SSA appoints to receive and manage the RSDI (Retirement, Survivors, and Disability Insurance), SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance), or SSI (Supplemental Security Income) benefits of another person, also referred to as a beneficiary. A rep. payee must use the benefits they receive for the use and benefit, and in the best interest of, the beneficiary.
Purpose of Reviews
To verify that rep. payees are properly using funds on behalf of beneficiaries and carrying out their duties correctly.
Types of Reviews
Periodic Onsite Reviews
- organizational payees: 50 or more beneficiaries
- individual payees: 15 or more beneficiaries
State Onsite (Mental Institution) Reviews
Predictive Model Reviews
- organizational payees: serving 49 or less beneficiaries
- individual payees serving 14 or less beneficiaries
Quick Response Checks
- Conducted in response to allegations or concerns about the performance or suitability of the payee
- Misuse, or using benefits for someone other than the beneficiary, may or may not be alleged
OPRABA initiated reviews
- Reviews that we have reason to believe are warranted
- May come from DRC referrals, media reports, or other sources.
How to contact OPRABA
Call Disability Rights California
Click links below for a downloadable version.