2018 Public Policy Platform
Goal 1: Stop abuse, no matter where and when it occurs. Improve Quality of Care.
- Continue legislative advocacy on sponsored bill AB 1335 (Kalra) clarifying the causation standard in nursing home death cases.
- Develop a public policy strategy to address conditions and prevent abuse and neglect of individuals with disabilities in jail and juvenile facilities and/or reduce rates of incarceration of people with mental illness and facilitate successful diversion and reentry programs.
- Develop public policy strategies to limit the use of restraint and seclusion in public and private schools.
- Develop a public policy strategy to address disability discrimination against homeless individuals.
Goal 2: Stop discrimination, eliminate stigma, and protect civil rights.
- Develop public policy strategies to preserve federal and state laws access rights.
Goal 3: End segregation. Increase community living options so people can live and fully participate in barrier-free communities of their choice with the services and supports they need to survive.
- Develop public policy strategies to increase programs and services that allow seniors and people with disabilities to live at home rather than in institutions.
- Develop public policy strategies to ensure that suspended services for regional center consumers are restored such as social recreation and camping and/or loosen restrictions regarding the use of generic resources when those restrictions impose access barriers.
- Monitor implementation of and develop public policy strategies for In Home Supportive Services workweek limitations exemptions.
Goal 4: Respect the autonomy, preferences, and choices of people with disabilities so they can be equal, passionate, and full participants in society.
- Develop public policy strategies to provide protections to parents with disabilities.
- Develop a public policy strategy regarding informed consent and end of life decision making for people with disabilities in nursing and other long-term care facilities.
- Develop public policy strategies to ensure accessibility of voter information and processes.
Goal 5: Protect and advance basic human rights to health care, housing, and education.
- Develop state and local public policy strategies to increase affordable and accessible housing and to address housing discrimination and restrictions including land use and zoning.
- Develop public policy strategies to maintain and improve access to Medicaid and the Affordable Care Act.
Goal 6: Ensure access to government benefits, transportation, and employment opportunities with competitive wages.
- Develop a public policy strategy to address policies that negatively impact persons with disabilities’ SSI/SSP benefits.
- Advocate for public policies that promote, rather than impair, pedestrian safety.
Goal 7: Increase access to culturally and language competent services that value disability, diversity, culture, and ethnicity of each individual. Ensure that all services are accessible to people with disabilities.
- Continue legislative advocacy on sponsored bill SB 354 (Portantino) which requires translation of Individual Education Programs.
- Develop public policy strategies to address disparities in the developmental disabilities system including access to culturally appropriate services.
- Develop public policy strategies to ensure state department and public entity websites are accessible and remain accessible.
Goal 8: Ensure access to up-to-date knowledge and tools and advocates so individuals with disabilities can be effective self-advocates and access courts, administrative agencies, and legal services to defend and enforce their rights.
- Develop a public policy strategy to maintain and increase DRC core funding including Equal Access funds.
- Develop a public policy strategy to secure funding for court self-help programs.
- Develop public policy strategies to ensure that DRC has strong access authority as contemplated by federal law.
Click links below for a downloadable version.