Who We Help

Disability Rights California helps Californians with disabilities. You may get DRC services on a disability related issue if you:

  • Have an intellectual or developmental disability
  • Are a regional center client
  • Have a mental health disability
  • Are a resident of a state psychiatric hospital
  • Have a physical, learning, or sensory disability
  • Have a traumatic brain injury
  • Need access to technology that may help you live a fuller, more independent life
  • Receive SSI or SSDI and need help keeping your benefits when you return to work
  • Receive or want to receive Department of Vocational Rehabilitation services
  • Have questions about your right to vote

To decide if we can represent you directly, we look at

  • The merits of your case
  • Your ability to advocate for yourself
  • Other advocacy sources you can use
  • Whether your problem is a DRC priority
  • If DRC has resources to help

If you are unhappy with our services, you may file a grievance. If you have not asked DRC for help yet, please contact our legal staff. This link tells you how to ask DRC for legal help: How to Get Help. In addition, you may get more information about our services by calling (800) 776-5746. If you want to file a grievance contact us by email at grievance@disabilityrightsca.org or call (800) 776-5746. Grievance forms are located at the bottom of this page.

Examples of Problems We Can Help With

Disability Rights California helps people solve disability-related problems. DRC can help you with problems like:

  • Rights to basic support, personal care, therapy and health care such as Home Supportive Services (IHSS) and Medi-Cal
  • Discrimination in housing, transportation, employment and access to public and private programs and services
  • Abuse, neglect and rights violations
  • Services and supports in the least restrictive environment, dignity, privacy, choice and other basic rights
  • Special education
  • Access to vocational rehabilitation services
  • Mental health and support services
  • Regional center eligibility and services
  • Voter registration, accessible vote casting and voting places
  • Access to technology – like communication devices and power wheelchairs

Disability Rights California Cannot Help With

  • Issues not in our Strategic Plan Goals, Initiatives and Objectives
  • Criminal law, family law, or bankruptcy courts or worker’s compensation proceedings
  • Personal injury lawsuits
  • Filling out Social Security forms
  • Getting guardianships or conservatorships
  • Issues not related to a disability

For other legal services organizations look here

DRC Grievance Forms | PAIMI Assurance Grievance Form | OCRA Grievance Forms | COPR Grievance Form